The Role of Naturopathy in Treating Lyme Disease
A holistic approach is important – simply hitting bugs over the head with a hammer is not enough.
We want the body to be able to fight the infection itself.
The following are beneficial to keep in mind for immunity when treating Lyme disease:
- Avoid nutritional factors that suppress immune function such as sugar
- Transfer Factors – researched to boost NK cell activity (general and Lyme specific)
- Mushroom extracts – reishi, shitake, maitake, etc.
Inflammatory mediators include:
- Herbs – curcumin, white willow, holy basil
- Proteolytic enzymes – protease, bromelain, papain, serrazimes
- Essential fatty acids – often need 4-6 grams daily. Fish or flax.
- samento (cats claw)
- grapefruit seed extract
Bartonella – Houttuynia (HH2 by Zhang)
- black walnut
- pau d’arco
- caprylic acid
- olive leaf extract
- colloidal silver
Supporting Detoxification and Herxheimer Reactions
- Smilax glabrae (Chinese sarsaparilla)
- Liver/ kidney herbs
- Lemon juice in water
- Epsom salts baths
- FIR sauna (with caution)
- Lymphatic drainage massage (with caution)
Offsetting Antibiotic Side Effects
Candida overgrowth – prevent with probiotics. Recommended preparation contains 100 billion live organisms daily. Probiotics should be given before bed, at least 2 hours after last dose of antibiotics or antimicrobial herbs. Saccromyces boulardi can be used in conjunction.
Liver and kidney function – monthly labwork is important. Herbs such as dandelion, milk thistle, burdock, schisandra can help strengthen liver and kidneys. Do not give milk thistle to a patient taking Mepron or Malarone (reduces efficacy).
Adrenal Support and Hormone Balancing
- Adrenals under major stress – assess using salivary testing throughout the day.
- Herbs – rhodiola, ginseng, ashwaghanda. Balancing better than stimulating.
- Hormone precursors – DHEA, pregnenolone
- Reproductive hormone support – maca, black cohosh (good for bladder irritability also), progesterone, testosterone.
- herbal anti-inflammatories
- proteolytic enzymes
- St John’s wort
- lemon balm
- Jamaica dogwood
- Adrenal support, thyroid support (iodine and tyrosine)
- Mitochondrial support – CoQ10 (not with Mepron or Malarone), NADH, NT factor, carnitine, keto-glutaric acid
- lemon balm
- passion flower
- malic acid
- Amino acid therapy can be helpful
- Tyrosine – energizing for the brain, also support thyroid
- 5-HTP – supports serotonin, calming, helps depression
- GABA/ L-theanine – good for anxiety/ OCD
- Heavy metals
- GI infections
- Mold toxicity
- Chronic viral infections (herpes, EBV, CMV, HHV-6)
Nerve pain relief