A herx reaction is caused by neurotoxins released by microbes when they are being killed off. A herx usually starts a few days into treatment – starting a new medication or supplement that is killing bugs. Herx reactions can last anywhere from a few hours to days or even weeks.
To minimize herxing here are some things that I have found helpful:
- Drink fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice in warm water, 2-3 times daily. Clean your teeth afterwards to protect tooth enamel as lemon and lime juice are acidic.
- Drink ionized, alkaline water – 2 liters per day.
- Eat a clean diet of lean proteins, healthy uncooked oils and vegetables. Juice greens if possible or drink wheatgrass juice.
- Take Epsom salts baths as the magnesium sulfate assists with detox. Magnesium is also relaxing for sore aching muscles.
- Alka-Seltzer Gold (must be gold, not regular) can be helpful.
- Try to rest and sleep as much as possible.
- Use far infra red sauna if possible, but only for short durations as tolerated.
- Do coffee enemas to help the liver and bowels flush out toxins.
Supplements to take or increase during a herxheimer reaction:
- Dr Nicola’s Smilax – this herbal tincture helps to neutralize neurotoxins. 1-2 droppersful twice daily in water.
- Dr Nicola’s Detox Formula (#1 or #2) – herbs to assist the function of the liver and to cleanse the blood. 1-2 droppersful twice daily in water.
- Dr Nicola’s Nerve Pain Formula – for symptomatic relief of nerve pain such as burning and stabbing pain, and headache/ migraine.
- TriFortify Liposomal Glutathione – 1 teaspoon in water once or twice daily.
- Activated Charcoal – 1-2 capsules twice daily 2 hours apart from other meds/ supplements. Acts as a binding agent in the gut to bind up the neurotoxins.
- Fiber blend containing soluble and insoluble fiber (such as UltraTox by Douglas Labs) – to help bind and sweep out bowels to get toxins out.